27TH STORYTELLING MARATHON
The 27th Story Marathon will be held between 15 and 17 June in the city of Guadalajara, with the Palacio del Infantado as the main stage. On this occasion, the theme chosen for this event is “the stars” and the poster, inspired by this “universe”, has already been chosen in a competition with 60 designs proposed. Its author is Julia Gomez.
The Marathon consists of the following activities:
- A forty-six hour, uninterrupted oral narration session.
- A Photography Marathon (all those who narrate are photographed by the Agrupación Fotográfica de Guadalajara)
- A Radio Marathon (all stories are broadcast on Radio Arrebato, a student-run radio station)
- An illustration marathon, in which many of the stories that are told are drawn.
- A Music Marathon (held over several years).
- Several lectures by specialists in oral literature.
- Workshops related to reading animation.
- Exhibitions alluding to the theme of the Marathon
- The Story Chimney (interior space in which those who do not dare to do so on the main stage tell their stories).
- Street shows by professional companies, which set the mood of the city during the weekend with performances related to the Marathon.
- The Travelling Word: narrative sessions in hospitals, associations and nursing homes. For those who cannot move to the main stage.
- The Travelling Marathon: mini-marathons in more than twenty towns in the province. Organized by the corresponding Public Libraries.
- Festival of Professional Oral Narrative, where the best professionals in orality are programmed.
- In each Marathon about seven hundred/eight hundred stories are told. This figure does not correspond exactly to the number of narrators, since many stories are told by groups of citizens: choirs, associations, reading clubs, entire classrooms…; therefore, the number of narrators is usually over a thousand.